Jumping into COMICS

What I love about writing is having my characters leap onto other platforms.  No sense in keeping my hero’s and heroine’s in black and white Times New Roman font.

What better way for characters and stories to come to life than in comics?

I co-wrote my first comic in 2011 for The Gathering Love Letters Anthology (Issue #5).  Our story “Postcards” is a love story that blossomed via postcards.  It was a fun experience and my interest peaked when I saw the words accompanied with the art.  I was hooked.

I submitted a second story, this time on my own, to The Gathering, All Women Anthology (Issue # 12).  At the time I was writing a YA Romantic Paranormal Series called Crimson Hunters.  Book 1 will be available  in August 2012 but in the interim I wanted to incorporate my characters from the novel into a comic.  My story “Forbidden” involves my main characters, Val and Axel, and the obstacles they must overcome to stay together.

Furthermore, a secondary character from the Crimson Hunters series captivated my attention.  I didn’t want to incorporate his back story into the novel but felt his character would make an interesting tale.  Therefore, I submitted my third story to The Gathering for their Horror 3 Anthology (Issue #14), available August 2012.

What’s next?  I’m working on adapting RUN LIKE HELL, my YA Thriller, as its own mini-comic.  I have an artist on board for the project and look forward to seeing the story brought to life in this format.

I highly recommend you check out The Gathering and also visit a local comic store.

Elena

About Elena Andrews

In between writing, Elena is busy tweeting, texting, and blogging. Candy makes her happy. She enjoys reading, drinking skim lattes and being outdoors. She is currently working on several YA projects and has a comic adaptation of RUN LIKE HELL, released in 2013.

, , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to Jumping into COMICS

1. Roger June 28, 2012 at 1:24 pm #

Great post. Good luck with the comics

• Elena Andrews June 30, 2012 at 4:12 am #

Thanks Roger! I appreciate the support and encouragement!

2. Tiarnan Ceinders June 28, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

What would you say are the biggest differences between writing for a comic and your regular writing?

• Elena Andrews June 30, 2012 at 4:15 am #

Writing for a comic is actually harder because I have to imagine how the image will be conveyed in the artwork. When I write I have to keep in mind the artists strengths. A simple paragraph in a book could be several panels in a comic or vice-versa.

3. K.E. Skedgell June 28, 2012 at 11:26 pm #

When I was in high school I used to draw and write my own comics, and of course they sucked! lol! And most of the characters were not my own, but I did make up a few that were my own. They were done for my enjoyment only, and the more I practiced drawing the comic book characters the better I got at drawing people in general. Good luck with yours, and have fun!

• Elena Andrews June 30, 2012 at 4:16 am #

Thanks K.E. – I would suggest you visit GrayhavenComics.com and look into their submission process…you never know!

4. Marc June 29, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

I would love to hear more about the major differences between writing for a comic which will have visuals on the page and writing a novel where the pictures are ‘painted’ by the writer. This is definately an interesting topic!

• Elena Andrews June 30, 2012 at 4:21 am #

Hi, Marc – it’s very different – at least for me it is! I’m generally used to sitting down and typing away but with a comic I prefer to keep the captions short and rely on the art to convey much of the story. It’s a collaborative effort between the artist and the writer.

• Marc June 30, 2012 at 10:37 pm #

Thanks for the response, Elena. Do you find it more difficult to reign in the descriptions when writing for an artist and give them space to flourish or do you tend to be descriptive with what you want shown in a panel or page as well?

5. Zombiefreeeeeeeak June 29, 2012 at 5:48 pm #

Interesting article. I’d love to hear more about the process. It’s particularly interesting that you’re adapting an already published novel into a comic. That’s got to be a different type of experience.

6. Elena Andrews June 30, 2012 at 4:24 am #

Thanks for replying, Zombiefreeeak! Actually, years ago I received a graphic novel of the movie “Twilight” and I loved seeing the story conveyed through all the images (before I watched the movies of course).

7. Elena Andrews June 30, 2012 at 4:25 am #

Thank you all for reading and responding to this blog post! I’ve loved reading all the feedback and look forward to keeping everyone posted on the projects as they progress.